Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Crawling out of a hole.



07:37 It felt like I was going to crawl out of a hole yesterday then overnight I partially fell back in. I checked to see how the robot traded overnight and it lost the only trade that triggered. Ever since robots began trading on markets you get these very sharp peaks and troughs. They resemble spikes on the time series.

07:42 There are a few things that a trader ought to do. Emotional detachment. Avoid looking at the cash figure. Trading discipline. Trading discipline will save you from a complete wipe out - keep your stops tight. The robot has no emotion. It is as cold as steel. It can be built to look at the overall equity for risk management. It has the trading discipline you give it. Executes without any emotion.

07:47 The first trade, today, is currently losing. A trade is not a loss until it closes. I could interfere in it. The only thing preventing me are the various tests I did to it yesterday. Tests which indicate it is a winning robot. I have to prove it, not on past data, but on a live market.

09:29 The first trade closed at a win. The sharp peaks and trough since robots entered the market are a real problem in my opinion.

11:46 Second trade of the day was a win. It correctly picked a trough for entry. The PoC (12) has exploited this twice overall since new parameters entered.

11:56 A strange detectable pattern is emerging on trade execution. I'm getting the fills delayed by a few minutes. I suspect this is a problem with the broker's server. It is causing major problems. However, since I'm letting the algorithm trade the delay isn't too problematic. If I was to hybrid trade, it would be a big flaw in the overall strategy.  It could point to changing my whole trading devices and set up going forwards. Instance is key. It did contribute to my 2nd profit blowout. This pattern was detected last week. Then it was more hybrid. Now, it is full automation.

12:31 Third trade of the day was another win. This despite the delayed fill information. This one was a breakout.

12:42 I scratched the fifth trade. It was introduced as a hedge on the fourth trade. So, closed it.

13.35: The fourth trade closed as a win. It's better to let it ride with the algorithm. Many traders avoid trading over the news. The algorithm acts on it. The broker's spread widened during the close which took away some of the win. I'm mistrustful of brokers. Sometimes you are trading against them. I didn't like the way the spread widened on what's suppose to be raw data feed.

13:43 On many occasions when, for whatever reason, my trading device disconnects from the broker's server the robots switch off. A disconnection is not a good thing at the best of times especially, when you have a position.

14:02 Sixth trade was another win. Again the PoC (12) correctly entered at a trough. Picking tops and bottoms is dangerous. It's better to go with the flow. If you pick a top or bottom it's better to get out when it goes against. I don't use Market Profile in FX. I use to use that technical in futures and I'm convinced that my robot algorithm mirrors it in some form.

14:17 I scratched the seventh trade. Wasn't convinced by it from a ticker tape trader point of view.